Advice & Guidance
West Hill holds the ‘Quality in Careers Standard’ and successfully passed reassessment in 2018. West Hill School held the previous version of the award ‘Inspiring IAG’ at Gold level from 2011. A summary of our planned programme is shown below:
- During Years 7-9 pupils have 10 lessons per year to explore their own career options.
- Every pupil meets at least one employer per year through our links with ‘Founders 4 schools’.
- In Year 8 pupils learn about the voluntary sector through our links with Willow Wood hospice.
- In Year 9 the focus is on the Pathways programme, this includes an evening for parents and employer visits to school.
- In Year 9 a group of pupils interested in financial careers can spend time with Barclays Bank in Manchester, this includes a branch takeover. Another group of pupils with an interest in engineering take part in the ‘Greenpower challenge’ where they build and race an electric car.
- In Year 10 all pupils have the opportunity to take part in two weeks of work experience, they can find their own placements or select from a range provided by school.
- During Year 10 and/or 11 we invite parents to our Apprenticeships fair, post-16 evening and ‘Next-steps’ where parents and pupils have the opportunity of meeting employers, past pupils and university representatives.
- Year 11 pupils have the opportunity of having a mock interview thanks to a range of volunteers who visit school.
Any pupil who would like a careers interview can request one by contacting Mr Musiol, the Careers Progression Advisor who may be contacted on the School number 0161 338 2193 or by email Careers@westhillschool.co.uk.
We welcome new workplace links and work experience placements for our pupils. Any colleges or employers who would like to work with the school should read our provider access policy.
The guidance for our Year 9 boys and their Parents & Carers, about the KS4 Pathways Programme at West Hill School can be found on our KS4 Pathways page.
Details of the Careers curriculum topics that form the taught element of our programme can be found on our IDP page.
How we Measure and Assess the Impact of our Careers Programme
External accreditation with Positive Steps. This involves an annual review and re-accreditation of the Quality in Careers Standard every three years.
Self-review using the Compass tool with measures progress towards meeting the Gatsby benchmarks.
Self-review against published guidance and statutory documentation.
Destination measures which are published annually.
Student, parent and staff voice following events, careers fairs and workplace visits.
Feedback from employers, and visiting partners.
Evaluation of feedback from employers and participants in work experience.
When we review our Careers Programme
The planned programme of lessons is reviewed during June each year.
Our annual reviews are completed during the Summer term each year.
Evaluation and amendment of the careers programme of events takes place in September each year.
Our next full review of the Quality in Careers standard will be in 2021.
On the evening of Thursday 25th February 2016 a seminar event took place in the Hewitt Building for Boys in Years 10 & 11 and their Parents/Carers.