Advice & Guidance
West Hill School has held the Inspiring IAG Gold Award since 2011 and was successfully reassessed in 2015. This award has now been re-named the ‘Quality in Careers Standard’.
- During Years 7-9 pupils have 10 lessons per year to explore their own career options.
- Every pupil meets at least one entrepreneur per year through our links with ‘Founders 4 schools’.
- In Year 8 pupils learn about the voluntary sector through our links with Willow Wood hospice.
- In Year 9 the focus is on the Pathways programme, this includes an evening for parents.
- In Year 9 or 10 a group of pupils interested in financial careers can spend time with Barclays Bank in Manchester, this includes a branch takeover.
- In Year 10 all pupils have the opportunity to take part in two weeks of work experience, they can find their own placements or select from a range provided by school.
- During Year 10 and/or 11 we invite parents to our Apprenticeships fair, post-16 evening and ‘Next-steps’ where parents and pupils have the opportunity of meeting employers, past pupils and university representatives.
- Year 11 pupils have the opportunity of having a mock interview thanks to a range of volunteers who visit school.Any pupil who would like a careers interview can request one by seeing Mr Musiol.
Any colleges or employers who would like to work with the school should contact Mr Butterworth or Mr Peacock via school reception.
The guidance for our Year 9 boys and their Parents & Carers, about the KS4 Pathways Programme at West Hill School can be found on our KS4 Pathways page.
Details of the curriculum topics can be found on our IDP page.
On the evening of Thursday 25th February 2016 a seminar event took place in the Hewitt Building for Boys in Years 10 & 11 and their Parents/Carers.