||Tweets by @WH_Business|
Welcome to the curriculum page for Business Studies. Pupils are taught using a variety of resources including ICT. Increasingly resources are been used which have been developed on the school network.
We learn how business impacts on individuals as well as communities; locally, nationally and globally. Our boys will learn to apply knowledge, in order to become actively engaged citizens. We promote the skills to enable our boys to be more enterprising, developing reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
The community spirit at West Hill underpins our approach in preparing our boys for the challenges they face, helping them achieve their fullest potential
Mrs S Broadbent - Head of Department
Year 10/11 Business Studies Edexcel Course - course specification
100% external examination to be taken at the end of Year 11.
3 hours per week.
Year 10 - Theme 1 - Investigating Small Business
Theme 1 comprises five topic areas.
- Topic 1.1 Enterprise and entrepreneurship – students are introduced to the dynamic nature of business in relation to how and why business ideas come about. They also explore the impact of risk and reward on business activity and the role of entrepreneurship.
- Topic 1.2 Spotting a business opportunity – students will explore how new and small businesses identify opportunities through understanding customer needs and conducting market research. They will also focus on understanding the competition.
- Topic 1.3 Putting a business idea into practice – this topic focuses on making a business idea happen through identifying aims and objectives and concentrating on the financial aspects.
- Topic 1.4 Making the business effective – students will explore a range of factors that impact on the success of the business, including location, the marketing mix and the business plan.
- Topic 1.5 Understanding external influences on business – students are introduced to a range of factors, many of which are outside of the immediate control of the business, such as stakeholders, technology, legislation and the economy. Students will explore how businesses respond to these influences.
Year 11 - Theme 2 Building a Business
Theme 2 comprises five topic areas.
- Topic 2.1 Growing the business – students are introduced to methods of growth and how and why business aims and objectives change as businesses evolve. The impact of globalisation and the ethical and environmental questions facing businesses are explored.
- Topic 2.2 Making marketing decisions – students will explore how each element of the marketing mix is managed and used to inform and make business decisions in a competitive marketplace.
- Topic 2.3 Making operational decisions – this topic focuses on meeting customer needs through the design, supply, quality and sales decisions a business makes.
- Topic 2.4 Making financial decisions – students will explore the tools a business has to support financial decision-making, including ratio analysis and the use and limitation of a range of financial information.
- Topic 2.5 Making human resource decisions – growing a business means that decisions relating to organisational structure, recruitment, training and motivation need to be made to influence business activity. These aspects are considered in this final topic.
Year 10/11 Business and Enterprise – Technical Award in Business and Enterprise – course specification.
60% portfolio work and 40% external examination. Examination will be taken in March Year 10.
3 hours per week.
- Understand entrepreneurship, business organisation and the importance of stakeholders
- Understand the marketing mix, market research, market types and orientation types
- Understand operations management
- Understand internal influences on business
- Understand external influences on business
Year 10 and 11
- Understand research, resource planning, growth and development for business and enterprise
- Understand human resource requirements for a business start-up
- Understand sources of enterprise funding and business finance
- Understand business and enterprise planning
January Year 11 –Project (60%) of the final grade.
To support your son’s learning and engagement in this subject he needs to have: a calculator and writing equipment. It will also help him if he has: a Business Dictionary
To support your son, resources are available on the school’s VLE, vle.westhillschool.co.uk, doddle and the school network. We use the Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Business (Ian Marcouse) textbook (ISBN 9781471899355), as well as recommending the Revise Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Business Revision Guide (ISBN 9781292190716) for the Business Studies Edexcel course. For the Technical Award in Business and Enterprise course we recommend ‘The Pocket-Sized Revision Guide for Business (ISBN 781906248451 and NCFE Level 1 / 2 Technical Award in Business and Enterprise ISBN 978-1-5104-5678-5
In years 10 and 11 pupils follow the Business Studies course and the NCFE Level 1/2 Business and Enterprise course. This course is assessed by one external examination and a project. The NCFE course is one paper and a portfolio of work. Further details are available from the examination board here: ncfe.org.uk
Visit the Pearson qualifications website for more information about what you will be studying and how you will be assessed if you are completing the GCSE course (1-9)