West Hill School supports a culture of whole school awareness, through policies, procedures and training that provide for a safe ICT environment.
eSafety is about protecting young people from harm when using ICT based resources. The eSafety policy is part of the school suite of ICT and Safeguarding Policies and it relates to other policies including those for behaviour, anti-bullying, personal, social and health education and citizenship.
During school hours it will be the responsibility of teachers to guide pupils toward appropriate materials. Outside of school hours, it is the responsibility of the parent/carer for such guidance.
Acceptable ICT Use
Your son is assumed to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy with your support. To enrich your son’s learning he will make use of ICT resources at the school.
Pupil Code of Conduct for ICT
- I understand that it is a criminal offence to use a school ICT resource for a purpose not permitted by the school, under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
- I understand that the connection of personal devices to the school network is not permitted without authorisation.
- I understand that I am not allowed to be in any ICT Suite unless there is a member of staff present in the room.
- I understand that I may only access the West Hill network or email system using my own username and password.
- I understand that my password must remain confidential.
- I will only access those Internet services I have permission to use.
- I will ensure that my work/activities on the Internet will be directly related to my school work.
- I understand that I must always ask permission or credit the owner before using any material and respect copyrights.
- understand that the use of social networking sites is not permitted in school without specific authorisation from a member of staff.
- I understand that the school has the right to review any of my electronically stored material at any time.
- I will not use the ICT resources to play games during directed learning time
- When using email I will be polite and appreciate that the other users may have different views to me. Sending bullying or harassing over the school network is not permitted and is in breach of the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
- I will not use abusive, foul or unpleasant language, or edit images to cause distress or ridicule another pupil using the school’s ICT resources.
- I will not state anything on a webpage or email that could be interpreted as libel.
- Misuse of email will result in the direct loss of email privileges and further sanctions may be endorsed.
If a pupil breaches the Code of Conduct, the following may happen:
- An immediate ban on the use of all computer facilities at school until the Network Manager has investigated the breach.
- A ban on the use of all computer facilities at school, for a specified period of time.
- A ban on the use of the Internet and email facilities at school, for a specified period of time.
- Appropriate punishment within the Departmental and/or Whole School disciplinary systems.
- A letter informing parents what he has done and how this breaches the ICT Code of Conduct.
- An invoice raised to cover the cost of repairing or replacing damaged equipment.
- Any other action decided by the Headteacher and Trusteesof the school.
We work very hard to ensure the ICT resources at the school provide a safe and secure environment for your son to work in. This includes Internet filtering as well as proactive monitoring of the network.
If you have any concerns or do not wish your son to make use of the ICT resources at the school you should express this in writing to the Headteacher, otherwise it is assumed and expected that your son agrees to abide by the ICT Code of Conduct and Acceptable Use Policy.